Monday, July 16, 2012

Must Have Picture Books Linky Party

 Lindsey over at The Teacher Wife, is having  a linky party for Must Have Picture Books. I'm all about picture books so I thought I'd jump on in!


Here are a few of my favorites!



Love The Boss Baby! Marla Frazee does a wonderful job telling the story from the baby's point of view. It's a great book to show writers different techniques writers use when they write (i.e. point of view).  Not going to lie, all my friends that are having babies/just had babies are getting this book. It makes a wonderful gift!



A Bad Case of Stripes has been a favorite for years. I've used it so many different ways while teaching intermediate including characterization. For my firsties, I can see how the book will allow students to better understand how to better be yourself. Camilla is  just a darling character. It's a great read for the first week!



One of my favorites around Patriot Day (9/11) is The Man Who Walked Between the Towers by Mordicai Gerstein. It's a story about the Twin Towers, told from a different point of view - one of happiness. It does mention the towers are no longer there at the end of the book, but it's told in a way that makes sense to young ones.  Best part.... there is a version of the book on United Streaming and Scholastic.   I love having students hear not only me read, but others too to better understand reading fluency. The students love learning it's a real story, and I've shown them the "news feature" from youtube as well. They can't believe this really happened.


 I love using Snowflake Bentley for teaching questioning. Not only is there the fiction story, but there are the nonfiction aspects told on the side. It's a great book to read and show students how genres can be intertwined.  I always try and time it around the winter snow and also teach the students how to make snowflakes with it.

Thank you for hosting Lindsey! Now it's your turn. Link up with Lindsey!

6 comments:

  1. Stopping by to check out your top 5 books. I love "Bad Case of Stripes". I'm your newest follower!

    Waving from The Teacher's Chatterbox,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up! I love A Bad Case of Stripes, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Boss Baby looks good, I'm going to check it out! And I love Snowflake Bentley! I read it to my kids before I teach them how to make snowflakes.
    ~Heather
    http://themeekmoose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another 1st grade teacher! Yeah. I love your picks for books. The Boss Baby is one I'm definitely going to put on my wish list.

    I'm your newest follower.


    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the name of your blog and I just added more books to my list!

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice getting to know you at dinner last night! Looking forward to sharing ideas :). Have a wonderful rest of your summer!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete