Monday, October 17, 2011

Symmetrical Pumpkins

I've had pumpkins and corn mazes on my mind. Seriously. I've got no little ones of my own to take, but for some reason, I've been totally in the mood. With bad weather this weekend, this girl had to be a little creative and had to make do with symmetrical pumpkins.

Last week we reviewed congruency, similarity, and symmetry and today we applied. After a quick review game students constructed their own symmetrical pumpkins. This was a great activity to review what the line of symmetry is and what a reflection is. 

They're super cute and easy to make. Plus, it's always interesting seeing nine and ten year olds use scissors and make artsy things. It's totally obvious we don't do it enough!

Here are the super easy directions. I've found it best to demonstrate while I go and have an example. First, lay the orange and black paper on top of each and fold in half (It doesn't matter if it's vertical or horizontal. I let them decide!). Then start cutting half a pumpkin making sure you keep the center fold in the middle. Unfold. Cut one color in half, and glue on both sides (you have to flip the one color so it fits on the other side). Keep the paper together so you have 4 sheets and then you can gut out the eyes, mouth, nose, etc. Glue on opposites (black on orange, orange on black). We talked a lot about how to make it so it would stay symmetrical.


The best part about it is.... one of my kiddo's last year figured out how to make it completely symmetrical on both sides. Many of the directions just tell you how to do it from one side. The key step is cutting 4 pieces of the same paper so they're congruent.

The kids loved this activity and want to make even more... now that's a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment